Frequently Asked Questions

What documents will I need to bring with me when hiring a vehicle from you?

You are required to bring your UK driving licence. If you have the old style paper licence we also need to see photo I.D. (passport)

Your national insurance number or DVLA share my driving licence code.

An additional form of I.D. (bank statement, utility bill) dated within the last three months. Mobile phone bills are not acceptable.

Your credit or debit card for a deposit.

I have endorsements on my driving licence?

Your licence must not have more than 9 points or any driving ban. More than 7 points there is an extra insurance charge will apply.*

Is there an excess on the insurance?

Yes, on all hires there is a £800 excess*
Young drivers 21-24 £1000 excess*
European hires a £1000 excess*
These can be reduced by purchasing the CDW.

Can I add a second driver to my rental?

Yes, you can have a second driver.
Extra charges apply.

Can I take your vehicle abroad?

Yes, you can take any of our vans abroad.
European rates include European insurance.

What happens if I breakdown?

In the unlikely event of a breakdown all our vehicles are covered by our AA breakdown policy. All vans are provided with our 24-hour emergency telephone number to call in case of breakdown or emergency. All efforts will be made to get you back on the road as soon as possible. A replacement vehicle will be provided if necessary.

Do you hire vehicles to people over 70?

Unfortunately our insurance policy does not cover vehicle hire for people over 70 or under 21, therefore we cannot offer this service. However you can still rent our vehicles if you provide your own insurance.

* additional excess and deposits may apply.

We hope this answers the most of your frequently asked questions but if you still have questions just give us a call or email.

Van Hire Ormskirk   smiths van hire     the-aa